Faded. Dry. Pool hair. Do any of these words sound a bit too familiar? Summer is tough on your hair! But since you are reading this before the damage is done, you don’t have to stress over your hair this summer! These tips will protect and prevent summer hair damage.
The best protection is to avoid doing the damage in the first place!
1. Your best bet is to leave some conditioner in your hair and style it in a pony, bun or braid. If it’s too late for that, wet your hair with tap water before you jump in. These tricks fill up your hair cuticle with good stuff, which doesn’t leave room for the salt water or chlorine chemicals to get into your hair shaft.
2. If you’re not getting in the water, spray on a protectant like Pureology’s Colour Max. It will prevent color fading from the sun. Just like your sunscreen, the protectant spray should be re-applied throughout the day.
3. Pack a hat! Especially if you’ve got red locks, which fade fastest, cover them up. A hat will make a difference in prolonging your radiant color.
If it’s too late to prevent the damage, there are still things you can do to repair.
1. Use a clarifying shampoo. This is also great when your kids’ hair turns colors from too much pool time! Pureology’s Purify shampoo and Redken’s Hair Cleansing Cream are both great clarifying shampoos.
2. Follow up with a hydrating shampoo like Pureology’s Hydrate or Redken’s Clear Moisture.
3. Finish it off with a moisturizing hair mask to restore balance to your hair.
And that’s it! Do these things and you’ll have beautiful, healthy hair all summer long!
Yours in style,